This book is an excellent and clear refutation of the Roman Catholic heresies:
Download the ‘pdf’ version while it is still available. The book is packed with information yet concise and easy to understand.
During the 19th Century the Church of England had a strong Bible-believing contingent of ministers that attempted to keep their church faithful while opposing the divergent forces of German rationalism (and Darwinism) on the one hand, and the introduction of ‘high-church’ Anglo-Catholic ritualism on the other. The fatal blow for the Church of England came in 1880 when they rejected the Authorized Version of the Bible from which they have never recovered. Eventually many Bible-believing ‘low church’ Evangelicals left its ranks to join Brethren, Baptist, Methodist, and other ‘free’ protestant churches. Today’s Anglican church is, sadly, overwhelmingly apostate.
Dr Blakeney’s “Manual…” is excellent which suggests his other books are also worth reading. Here’s a list of some available for download:
- The confessional of Tractarianism identical with the confessional of Romanism
- History and Interpretation of the Book of Common Prayer
- Lecture: “Cardinal Wiseman and the Pope’s Bishops”
- Lecture: “The Mass in the Church of England”
- Convocation. A sermon, etc
- Protestant Catechism: or, Popery refuted and Protestantism established by the Word of God
- Hand-book of the liturgy of the Church of England
- Popery in its social aspect : being a complete exposure of the immorality and intolerance of Romanism
- Churchman article: “Royal Supremacy and the Final Court of Appeal“
- England’s bloody tribunal: or, Popish cruelty displayed.
- Statement: “Principals of the Reformation“
Dr Blakeney wrote many other articles and lectures that are not yet available online: “Romanism, Tridentine, and Vatican Refuted”; “Modern Infidelity and Rationalism Exposed and Refuted”; “The Polish Insurrection and Its Real Objects: the Policy of Napoleon; the Jesuits; Shall We Go to War?”; “Manual of The Lord’s Supper Or Holy Communion”; “Romish Parties; Or, False Pretensions of Rome to Unity”; “Scripture Interpretation and Inspiration, Considered” etc.
= = =
“The Bible, and the Bible only, is the religion of Protestants”
– Wm Chillingsworth (1602-1644)